Sunday, June 13, 2010

Contractions, pokes, and proding

So friday started out like any other day, shower, walk hulk, work. Nothing abnormal about that. At around 1 the left side of my stomach started hurting sort of a stabbing pain that would not go away. I didnt think much of it for the first half hour or so but as the pain persisted and seemed to be gettting worse instead of better, I called the Doctor who told me to head to the hospital to get checked out. I really didnt think it was a contraction but then again I have never had one so how would I really know what they feel like. I headed to triage in labor and delivery and sure enough I was having contractions about 2-3 minutes aart. So there initial thought was that I was dehydrated which can cause contractions so after two liters of fluid through and IV and no improvement dehydration was quickly ruled out.  I was poked several times for blood to look for different types of infection which can also cause early contractions. All of my blood work was spot on and all the infections they were concerned about came back negative. Despite the frequency of contractions both baby and I looked fine. The contractions were not affecting baby girl fevold at all. So they tried a tocolytic drug which is a drug that is used to stop contractions. I was given a high dose of Nifedipine which again did nothing to stop the contractions. It seemed to slow the contractions down some about 10-12 minutes apart but did not stop them. The hospital monitored both baby and I closely all night long and because I had no signs of cervical dilation in lamen's terms the baby wasnt trying to get out! They sent me home on bed rest for at least the next week. Tyler and I spent a night in the hospital and I learned quite a few things, I am a monitor freak( meaning I stared at the monitor the entire night to make sure little miss was doing ok in there). I always used to tell families in the PICU the importance of not watching the monitor because it will drive you crazy and here I am doing exactly what I tell other people not to do. I was a pretty good patient I would disconnect myself from the monitors and then use the gel to find babies heart rate and hook myself back up. It's easier to be a patient when you know the flow of hospitals.  Tyler and I definitely made the best of our hospital stay we talked about lots of stuff and just hung out like we would at our own house. When he went to sleep I sat up watching infomercials and now I have to have a magic bullet! I mean seriously they put those infomercials on to trick people like me who are over-tired and stressed. I tell you I am convinced that the magic bullet might be the best invention ever! Tyler was wonderful to me and it was funny to see how excited he was to get to wheel me to the car in the wheel chair! We definitily know how to make the best of every situation. Im staying at my parents for the week in order to just be able to relax on the couch and hope the contractions stop. It would be too hard for me to stay at the condo with Hulk because it is a little hard to explain to Hulk why I cant walk him and am just laying on the couch all day long. I will go to the doctor this week to get some more information, but the doctor at the hospital said that unfortunately some women begin painful frequent contractions that stay that way until the moment you deliver and that may just be me. So hopefully ill be able to go back to work next week and just do office work until little miss decides to grace us with her presence. We are glad she is still waiting inside after all these contractions! Here are a couple pictures to document our little misses life so far.


1 comment:

  1. We got the magic bullet last summer or so for Joe to make smoothies! He's home, it is back out on the counter! He loves it. Will be great for pureeing baby food too. Hope you are having a restful week. Joe was 31 1/2 weeks & Tom 36. Would be nice if you can hang onto her in your quiet belly a bit longer! Gramma says hi too!

    Aunt Rita

    ReplyDelete