Sunday, August 29, 2010

Pacifiers, Nuks, Binkys and such

When you are a nursing mom, the nurses at Rush strongly suggest that you do not introduce a pacifier to your infant until at least one month of age. When I say strongly suggest I mean they really do not let you use a pacifier with you newborn. They have a card in there bassinet that says "I am breastfed, no Pacifiers please." Why I actually listened to this rule I have no idea. Let me tell you this being a PICU nurse I think I can speak for most of the nurses out there in peds. I am a pacifier pusher. I would give a pacifier to just about any patient that would take it if they were fussy or crying or even when they were happy and content. I know just about every trick in the book to get a kid to take a pacifier and to keep it in there mouth. Its amazing what us nurses can think of in order to rig the pacifier to stay in a patient's mouth. I mean seriously folks PICU nurses love pacifiers. So why on earth did I listen to these nurses tell me that I couldnt use one. I must have been under some type of motherly spell, so enamored by my daughther that I did not want to do anything to screw up breastfeeding. I was mistaken. Franki now thinks that my boob is her pacifier. She falls asleep nursing, I put her down and she cries I pick her up she acts like she is hungry takes a couple of sucks and is immediately back to sleep. Unfortunately you can just take your boob out at the grocery store, at church or really anywhere besides the comfort of your own home. Therefore having a boob for a pacifier does not work out like the simple pacifier would. I had registered for pacifiers and this week have been trying to get Franki to take one when she is fussy or not hungry but still wants the soothing nutritive suck. Long behold she refuses to take the pacifier, spits it out, and makes an awful face when you try to give it to her. She is the type of patient that if I or any other nurse in the PICU had we would want to pull our hair out becuase she cant take a pacifier. I have personally created my own little Diva. AHHH. My current solution, I have already tried dipping it in breast milk, holding it in her mouth, placing it against my boob, etc. Desperate Times call for Desperate Measures (meaning I need to get some sleep at night therefore  pacifier instead of my boob would come in handy). I went to Babies R US today and spent about 45 dollars on every brand pacifier that I could find. I am determined to find a pacifier that she will take. I will open oone package at a time until we find ourselves the perfect fit. It may be an expenise habit, but I am a firm believer that the pacifier can be a life saver in many a situation and can save there momma just a little bit of time.  Wish us luck in our trial and error adventure!

On a side note: I love this little girl! She loves the outside just like her Momma. We went to Aunt Kathy's and Uncle Kurk's on saturday for a BBQ. She absolutely loved all the attention that she got and she was as happy and relaxed as a clam hanging out in the back yard. She loves he fresh air. She just has this peacefullness about her when she is outside. She got lots of lovin in. Her Aunt Kathy loves to hold her and Franki loved every minute she got to rock on the chair with her Aunt. She also got to get some loving from her Aunt Rita and she slept the day away just loving her attention. Her Moma and Papa(Maternal Grandparents) were also there and they are looking forward to there babysitting date with Franki next weekend! We had a great time sitting out in the sun, playing bags and just relaxing with family. We cant wait to have a yard of our own to have a BBQ. Hulk loved his time in the sun and enjoyed running around he went like a puppy all day long! Great weekend, starting week Five with baby, cant wait to see what new thing she discovers this week!

No comments:

Post a Comment